Thursday, May 26, 2011

Brussels sprouts with percorino














Brussels sprouts are in high season so this makes me happy in the kitchen! I'm spreading the word of there nutritionally dense profile to my clients and anyone in my travels.

They grow on a single stalk and I have some photo's on my blog under travels from the San Fransisco farmers market, a very strange looking vegetable when its growing. They are a wild cabbage and part of brassica family known for its antioxidants and anti cancer properties.

I get my beautiful organic brussels sprouts from Alison and Gary at Always Organics

They are best prepared very simple and not overcooked, my childhood memories of my mum's version of boiled brussels sprouts almost scarred me for life but I decided a few years ago to give then another go!


1 kg organic brussels sprouts, clean and wash removing any damaged leaves
small amount extra virgin oil
small amount of ghee or clarified butter
1 clove garlic
percorino cheese, grated fresh
Celtic sea salt and pepper to season

With a small knife cut the brussels in half, in a saute pan gently heat the olive oil and ghee put in the garlic making sure you don't burn but keep temperature low, then add the brussels sprouts saute for 5 minutes until tender they will be golden.
Grate fresh percorino and season with celtic sea salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment